Fresh after the release of Android 2.2, the next version of Android 3.0 aka “Gingerbread”, will soon be released.
Here’s the basic information about Android 3.0:
- It will be released mid-October 2010.
- Minimum Hardware requirements: 1Ghz CPU, 512MB RAM, 3.5″ displays and higher. The focus will also be on Tablets.
- 1280×760 resolution available on screens 4″ or bigger.
- Overhauled user interface. Basic impressions is that it will look like the App Gallery in Android but throughout the OS
- Less reliance on third-party UI shells like HTC’s Sense or Motorola’s MotoBlur.
This could further fragment the Android OS systems. Will smartphones like the Droid X and Droid Incredible be upgradable to Android 3.0? What about Chrome OS? Will it be used on Tablets or will the Android OS be used?
Google has a lot of questions to answer. Hopefully they can clarify when the OS release is near.